Update April 15, 2022
How about an update already!?
Lots going on at CGR Publishing in 2022. We released several new books on subjects ranging from antique cars, trolleys, cat postcards, drawing instruction, and more! Check out our newest releases on the front page. There are many more in the works.
Two new video series are in development. Mark Bussler is producing a new drawing instruction series for TikTok that can be viewed on the @TurboVolcano channel.
CGR Publishing expands into music publishing with the release of three new albums that can be heard on Spotify, Amazon, Apple, YouTube Music, Pandora, and other music streaming services. See the newest releases on the front page and in the music section of the website as we develop it.
January 7, 2022
Good morning from space! Big news week here at CGR.
Mark joins the new Toaplan film in production as English narrator for All Your Base Are Belong to Toaplan. Produced and directed by Joseph Pierce, edited by Shmup Junkie, and featuring the creators of Truxton, Fire Shark, Hellfire, and more --- You can see trailers and back the blu-rays and digital downloads on Kickstarter.
Watch the video version of the CGR Podcast #8 right here on CGR.
In other news, the first 80s Comics review filmed in Future Year 1982 just went live. Mark is working in the new Intergalactic Space Arcade and bringing some inane comic book reviews into space with him. 80s Comics is a website exclusive. Watch it ad-free at 80sComics.com
The Turbo Volcano sound starts to emerge as new keyboards and synthesizers are hooked up to the Intergalactic Space Arcade. You can hear clips of music and experimental tracks in CGR Podcasts, 80s Comics, and Turbo Volcano videos. See more as it emerges at TurboVolcano.com
Bussler continues to wrap up the latest issues of Robot Kitten Factory, Ethel the Cyborg Ninja, Retromegatrex, and his new Paris World's Fair books. More on those as they release in 2022 (aka Future Year 1982.) He is also working on a cookbook series. 1982 is going to be the best year ever!
The CGR Podcast is off to a great start. We just upgraded recording equipment for Episode 9. We're making stickers and flyers for website and ebay orders! Get ready to stick a Turbo Volcano sticker somewhere where it needs to be stuck.
Update December 18, 2021
Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and all the joyous good tidings from your friends at CGR. Lots going on here. LOTS.
We started a weekly Podcast. You can now listen to Mark ramble on incoherently about projects, art, Star Wars, and the upcoming Operation Turbo Volcano. What is Operation Turbo Volcano? The first rule of Operation Turbo Volcano is not to talk about Operation Turbo Volcano.
We'll number the news items since they're all big.
- We're expanding our operations in 2022 to provide wider product and warehouse coverage for Amazon, Walmart, Barnes & Noble, Ebay, Etsy, and more. We understand there was some difficulty in getting our hardcovers in 2021, and we'll be fixing that like ED-209 fixes parking violations.
- The new CGR Publishing Studio is under construction for expanded marketing efforts and product videos. Along with that comes some other fun things like a place to finally set up all of our arcade games. Pac-Man anyone?
- Operation Turbo Volcano is a thing. It's an enigmatic thing, but a thing nonetheless. You'll be hearing and seeing more about Turbo Volcano here and on the soon to be revised Turbo Volcano website. (this does not affect the clothing brand at all. Our shirts and hoodies will continue to be sold through Amazon under the Turbo Volcano brand.) You will soon be able to listen to Turbo Volcano while wearing Turbo Volcano while shouting Turbo Volcano from within a Turbo Volcano.
- The CGR Podcast featuring Turbo Volcano is running weekly. Mark is enjoying getting back into audio recording and music. Upcoming podcast topics include 80s Comics, Star Wars & Star Trek, Turbo Volcano sonic soothing sounds from space, and more.
- 80s Comics videos are likely to return. Bussler is looking at making a weekly 80s Comics professionally produced review show in the new studio because it's awesome and his 80s Comics review guide books will launch in 2022. This is planned to be an 80s Comics / CGR website exclusive via our Vimeo channel in 4K.
- Turbo Volcano launches on TikTok. Yes, we're also confused. Look for short music clips and random arcade game footage. @TurboVolcano
- Our marketing team is starting to work out a new social media plan for 2022. You may see more posts on Twitter via @TurboVolcano and @80sComics and @ClassicGameRoom we're still working it out. We own those accounts, so the info posted on them is authentic.
- There are no plans to resume the Classic Game Room show on YouTube. Please enjoy the existing videos and the collections. According to Mark, "It was fun at the time. Sadly, I don't have time to learn new games and record footage anymore, nor do I have any interest in live streaming or reaction videos. However, you will likely see some new CGR content here based on the archival collection. I'm building the new studio with a variety of photo staging locations including the Intergalactic Space Arcade. Look for some old friends like the R-Zone, Neo-Geo CD, Atari 2600, TI-99, MSX, Vectrex, arcade games, and more. I wouldn't rule out some arcade and pinball reviews in the future, but nothing concrete is planned. I'm no longer producing films or documentaries, but since the gear is here again... well, we'll see. Watch the CGR Studio page and listen to the podcast for updates."
- Follow Turbo Volcano on Soundcloud here Stream Turbo Volcano music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for free on SoundCloud - it will likely be a few months off before you hear finished content, but sub up and great ready for a time-traveling space warp through 1982.
- Follow CGR Publishing on Etsy for original art. Not only we will be selling our art guides and classic art books on Etsy, but Mark will also be posting some original pen and ink drawings and watercolors based on a variety of subjects.
- We have discontinued international shipping outside of the U.S. from this website. If you want one of the DVDs or Laser Sets, please buy them from our Ebay store who will coordinate the international shipping. We would like to direct our international book shoppers to Amazon who can coordinate international shipping.
- We will restock our in-house inventory for domestic shipping in 2022. Please follow our newsletter to learn about coupons and any upcoming specials.
- Our Centipede machine has a dirty trak-ball. Mark needs to fix it.
- If Mark Bussler doesn't electrocute himself while fixing Centipede (though that would be a funny TikTok), he will be releasing a large assortment of books in 2022. This list will likely change a bit (it always does), but readers can look forward to sets of books on the 1889 Paris World's Fair and 1900 Paris World's Fair, a book on trolleys and cable cars, classic cars, and an antique road trip, the 80s Comics series, Ethel the Cyborg Ninja 3 and the Ethel hardcover trilogy, Robot Kitten Factory 3 and the 1st trilogy, How to Draw Men's Eyes Inspired by Classic Illustrations, How to Draw Hands Inspired by Classic Illustrations, a 10-volume set on 19th-century Locomotive engineering, Omega Ronin, and a super-retro antique cookbook series (with possible video series!?) Who wants to see Mark drink egg wine and light himself on fire while making ox brain aspic?
Update November 11, 2021
Supply line issues slow hardcover printing. Order early for Christmas!
We recently released hardcover special edition versions of most of our biggest books - but of course, they've run right into supply line issues that affect the raw materials used to construct them. Hardcovers are still being printed but the lead-time is about 2-3 weeks. Order your hardcovers from Amazon now and you should receive them with time to spare.
Mark Bussler releases The Art of Ferdinand von Reznicek Volume 1!
Bussler (our president, lead cover designer, and sommelier) brings it back from the 1890s with a stunning, full-color collection of prints, paintings, and illustrations from Austrian artist, Ferdinand von Reznicek. If you like outrageous drawings of dancing, parties, and drunken late nights in 1899, then you'll love this book. Reznicek was a famous contributor to many German magazines in the late 19th-century, and went on some fame, but died young and sadly failed to reach his full potential. Enjoy this hilarious look at the work of a talented painter and illustrator with translated captions from his contemporary German collections. Softcover and Hardcover available from Amazon.com
Bussler releases How to Draw Womens' Eyes: Inspired by Classic Illustrations Volume 1
Not one to sit still for very long, Bussler also releases the first part of a drawing instruction series based on classic illustrations from the 1800s. Borrow the models from the best illustrators in France from 1890 and learn how to draw eyes from ultra-high-resolution scans. This entertaining series re-imagines drawing instruction and provides ample contemporary engravings for inspiration.
New scrapbooking books and oversized prints for framing:
Kayleel released a series of new scrapbooking and framing print books on Amazon with enlarged, oversized images from the CGR Publishing archives. These are great for framing, decoupage, and scrapbooking. Check out the complete collection!
Geisha Japanese Art Coloring Book for Adults Volume 2 is out!!
Carmen Lafayette drops the second volume of Geisha coloring. The series has been well-received (because it's awesome) and issue 2 is even better than the first one. Don't miss it!
Update October 1, 2021
We've been busy! Big new releases over the past few weeks include:
We're working with several talented writers and artists on new projects on a variety of subjects with release dates planned before the end of 2021. Stop back often and see what's new from CGR Publishing!
Update August 20, 2021
Good news everyone! We're nearing the release season and you can expect loads of books soon from our in-house comic book workshop and the history department. Stuff coming in November:
Upcoming Mark Bussler releases:
Ethel the Cyborg Ninja 3
Ethel the Cyborg Ninja Trilogy 1 Hardcover Special Edition
Classic Game Room - Farewell and Thanks for the Laser Bathysphere #1
Robot Kitten Factory 2 (August/September)
Robot Kitten Factory 3
Robot Kitten Factory Trilogy 1 Hardcover Special Edition
Retromegatrex 2: The Art of Mark Bussler 2018-2021 Hardcover and Softcover and DIgital
Retromegatrex 1: The Lost Art of Mark Bussler 1995-2017 Hardcover Special Edition
Omega Ronin #1
Magnum Skywolf #2 (early 2022)
The Art of Ferdinand Von Reznicek Hardcover and Softcover
[Untitled] Paris Exposition 1889 Two-Volume Hardcover and Softcover Set
Bussler recently released a gorgeous new book called: 1915 San Francisco World's Fair in Color: Grandeur of the Panama-Pacific Exposition. Hardcover and softcover editions (digital soon.)
The newsletter will resume shortly. We revamped the entire marketing program in 2021. We are no longer using social media or responding to questions on any external platform. If you have a question, contact us here. A new team may take over the program in 2022.
The Turbo Volcano website is in development. We are slowly adding our thousands of product designs and finally combining them all in one place. Check it out! www.TurboVolcano.com
Update July 6, 2021
Trees of California: Restored Enlarged Retro Special Edition is now available in Paperback and Hardcover!
Retromegatrex 2, Omega Ronin, and Magnum Skywolf #2 are in development. Dates TBD. Subscribe to the CGR Publishing newsletter for release updates!
Update June 8, 2021
Good day! Here's some goings-ons for summer 2021, lots of stuff happening.
Website news returns! We decided to discontinue most of our social media channels. CGR Publishing will post official news and updates here and via the newsletter.
Mark Bussler has permanently retired from filmmaking, video, journalism, commentary, editing, and narrating. His focus is on other projects, he not available for editing or narrating jobs. You can find his catalog of videos in the digital and physical video section of the website. His upcoming books, the Robot Kitten Factory project, and Turbo Volcano design work will be announced here as he releases them.
Our Turbo Volcano team and sister website will be finishing up their release project over the next several months and (finally) compiling and cataloging the thousands of products scattered over our distributors' channels. Thank you for your patience! Been a crazy year 🙂
Hardcover Premium Editions
Most of our book catalog is now available in deluxe hardcover editions as well as paperback and Kindle. You can now find them on Amazon and Ebay. We will be adding hardcovers to the site in the coming weeks. Subscribe to our newsletter for some maybe super-secret coupons!
Bundle Deals arrive on the website!
Our popular bundle deals from Ebay are now available on the website. You can see the category here.
Shakespears Joins CGR
We got our hands on one of the rarest and best-illustrated collections of Shakespeare's work. CGR is releasing a three-volume Shakespeare collection in hardcover and softcover this summer. Stay tuned.
1915 World's Fair Coming Soon
Bussler is wrapping up work on his upcoming 1915 San Francisco World's Fair book in color. Soon to be available in softcover, hardcover, and Kindle.
Robot Kitten Factory Trilogy Hardcover
Mark is finishing up the second two issues of Robot Kitten Factory retro-styled manga. They will be available as floppies and combined into an enlarged hardcover special edition. Signed copies of the hardcover will be available for pre-order soon.
Ethel the Cyborg Ninja Trilogy Hardcover
Mark is also wrapping up the third installment of Ethel the Cyborg Ninja which will be available as a floppy this summer. The first part of the trilogy will also be enlarged, combined, and released as a special edition hardcover this year. Signed copies will be available for pre-order soon.
Update June 16, 2020
CGR Publishing surpasses 150 published book titles. We have expanded our distribution!
You can now order CGR Publishing books directly from this website (the website you are currently on!) We'll soon be offering some coupons to subscribers and can even offer signed copies of some books.