Celebrate the curious, colorful, and cantankerous cats of classic postcards from around the world!
A century before texting was a thing, people would send their loved ones correspondence on postcards with delightful images featuring cats, cats, and more cats! Carmen Lafayette and the CGR Restoration Workshop present a delightful, curated collection of vibrant, antique cat-themed postcards from around the globe throughout history. Features:
- 85 antique postcard images with gorgeous, colorful retro images
- High quality full-size 8 1/2″ x 11″ color pages
- Ultra-high-resolution scans from the CGR Restoration Workshop archives
- Perfect gift for cat lovers of all ages
- Cat photographs, cat drawings, and contemporary cat imagery
- Anthropomorphic cats in clothes doing human activities!
“In the late 1800s into the dawn of the 20th century, the average person could not afford a telephone to drop in and say “how do you do?” to a friend or relative. Instead, they wrote a kindly message on the back of a postcard, affixed a once-cent stamp, and mailed it.
Companies produced a vast array of postcards that featured idyllic scenes and imagery to evoke a feeling of friendship or holiday cheer. Sometimes the cards would feature clever sayings, greetings, or a hearty good joke. Rather than receiving yet another quickly typed, impersonal message with an annoying “ding,” imagine the days when one would greet the mailman at the door for a hand-delivered colorful postcard with a hand-written note!
Landscapes, artwork, religious scenes, and couples in love adorned these happy antique greeting cards and provide endless hours of enjoyment for collectors and casual enthusiasts today. My favorite postcards are, unsurprisingly, the ones that feature cats!”
- Colorful cats
- Black and white cats
- Period drawings of cats
- Cats posing in funny shots
- Anthropomorphic cats
- Classic European and American cat imagery
- A section showcasing contemporary writing from the postcards
- Kittens and more!