Avoid the supermarket and learn how to grow food, plants, and flowers at home like we once did. Now presented in an enlarged special edition format.
Masters of their craft, Ransom Moore and Charles Halligan, first published this instructional guide for beginners and experts alike in 1919. This informative and easy-to-follow book is ideal for farmers, gardeners, landscape artists, and greenhouse lovers looking to improve their growing game. Learn the beginning steps and advanced techniques about how to grow food and more in a traditional, healthy, and sustainable way.
This book is ideal for readers looking to learn how to grow fruits, vegetables, wheat, corn, and more. Additionally, horticultural skills such as grafting, seed sowing, greenhouse management, shrubbery, and landscape artistry are included.
Classic Farming, Plant Production, and Horticulture: Enlarged Illustrated Special Edition features more than 100 digitally re-mastered images from a pristine source. Readers will enjoy the contemporary classic type font, original writer layouts, enlarged pages, and a retro Special Edition cover design that stands out on the shelf.
Table of Contents:
Section 1 – Agronomy
– The Soil and the Plant
– Corn and Grain Judging
– Grain Breeding
– Leguminous Crops
– The Hay Grasses
Section 2 – Horticulture
– Propagation by Seeds and Spores
– Propagation by Separation, Division, and Layerage
– Propagation by Cutting
– Fruit Growing
– Orchard Management
– Fruit Pests
– Spraying Mixtures
– Thinning, Harvesting, and Storing Fruit
– The Pomes – Apples, Pears, and Quinces
– Stone Fruits – Peaches, Plums, and Cherries
– Grapes, Strawberries, and Bush Fruits
– Vegetable Gardening
– Manure and Commercial Fertilizers
– Tillage and Irrigation
– Glass Structures and Care of Greenhouse Crops
– Seed Sowing and Transplanting
– Harvesting, Marketing, and Storing Vegetables
– Landscape Gardening
– Trees, Shrubs, Vines, and Flowers